Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Even Big Girls Cry Sometimes

Life always has a way of sending you curve balls. I admit I have been horrible at keeping up with my blog. A part of me wants to remain private while another part of me wants to have a platform to share my experiences with others. Also, with the internet being so accessible, a part of me wonders if my blog is actually keeping me from potentially getting hired at new jobs. My doctor advised me to write "anonymously" but I want people to see who I am because I am just like everyone else. And with this disease being so rare and uncertain I want people to know it can happen to anyone.

you + me = us (I know my calculus)
With that being said, today was not the best of days. I try my best to stay positive and deal with my disease day to day. But when you get diagnosed with a life threatening disease, there will always be doubts and insecurities. My first insecurity developed when I began bruising spontaneously from severely low platelets. At one point my legs were completely covered in bruises and stayed for months. Thank god for the maxi dress/skirt trend. When I started my cyclosporine pills, my platelets rose tremendously and my bruises began to fade but I couldn't be exposed to sunlight while on the medication. And that's when I became a Vampire. I avoided my favorite past time of being a beach bum. After 14 months of vitamin D deprivation, I stopped taking cyclosporine and rekindled my love affair with the sunlight. 

I was beyond ecstatic when I found out I could stop taking my pills. A part of me felt like I was slowly becoming normal again. Like my old self before getting sick. But like everything in life, its always uncertain. I had my bi-weekly doctor appointment today and found out my platelet count went from 115,000 to 50,000. Which means bad news for me. For those that know me, I rarely cry in front of people. It makes me uncomfortable watching someone cry so I try to hold it in. Today when Dr. Phan told me the news that I had to go back on cyclosporine, I cried my eyes out. Sometimes life isn't fair and you have to learn to roll with the punches. I have been doing some research and decided to try out some natural remedies to help increase my platelets before I decide to go back on medication. And the one thing I've learned is that you have to be pro-active in your health. Even if you feel like you have the best doctor in the world, always get a second opinion and do your research.

"Crying doesn't indicate that you're weak. Since birth, it has always been a sign that you're alive."

1 comment:

  1. you write some amazing and inspiring words!!! Keep your head up and always smile even if you had just cried....Things will get better and good luck with all life brings you, you are an amazing person!!
    alea

    ReplyDelete